We are pleased, proud, and excited that the illustrator for the 2012 Collaborative Summer Library Program for Children is Massachusetts’ own Brian Lies! Brian, who is the author of Bats at the Beach, Bats at the Library, and Hamlet and the Magnificent Sandcastle, among others, has created the artwork for the children’s theme, Dream Big-Read! Brian has agreed to be an integral part of our Support for Summer Reading Online grant.
The first part of our Support for Summer Reading Online grant was a huge success, thanks to our 8 trainers from across MA. Each led intensive trainings on our online summer program (ReadsinMA) that many of you attended.
The second portion of the grant focuses on encouraging MA librarians to actively implement and manage their online reading program during Summer 2011. To award not only new libraries on ReadsinMA, but those who have used if for the past several years, the grant will allow us to offer an educational program to a few of our libraries in summer, 2012. To fulfill this portion of the grant, we are excited to announce that Brian will visit selected public libraries across MA next summer.
Visits will take place during summer, 2012.
In order to be eligible for a Summer 2012 visit from Children’s author Brian Lies, participating libraries should plan on setting up and managing at least one ReadsinMa program during Summer 2011. There is no need to apply or send an email. MLS will be looking at all of our libraries that meet the criteria and will select winners this fall!
- The library is a participant in the Statewide Summer Library program for 2011 and 2012.
- The one program be a Children’s program (k-6 range). Using with more age levels like Adult or Teen is encouraged.
- The program be used for registration and tracking books. Managing prizes and reviews is encouraged.
- The program run the full span of the library’s summer program (this may equal 6, 8, or more weeks)
- Libraries who model best practices in their use add to their eligibility. For example, providing library contact information at the top of the program page.
- Selected libraries will work with MLS to coordinate the visit with Mr. Lies during the summer of 2012.
There is no need to apply or send an email. MLS will be looking at all of our libraries that meet the criteria and will select winners this fall!