The Massachusetts Library System (MLS) is looking to hire a Consultant with a focus on Library Instruction & Educational Technology. This is a full time (37.5 hours per week) exempt position, based out of our Marlborough, MA office. The successful candidate may have the opportunity to telecommute part of the week with approval of their supervisor. This is not a fully remote position. A general Consultant position description is linked to and incorporated into this job advertisement by reference. More specific qualifications and responsibilities for this position are detailed below. Partial relocation assistance may be negotiated if the successful candidate currently resides outside of Massachusetts.
MLS is a state-supported non-profit organization that provides a variety of services to our 1,500+ member libraries across Massachusetts, including state-wide materials delivery, mediated interlibrary loan, online resources, consulting, and training. MLS supports all types of member libraries, including academic, public, school, and special libraries. The Consultant position is part of the Consulting & Training Services department. The goal of the Consulting & Training Services department is to help our members accomplish their goals through our sustainable and equitable consulting and training services.
How to Apply
To be considered for this Consultant position, please email a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your cover letter should clearly indicate that you are applying for the “Library Instruction & Educational Technology” Consultant position. Your cover letter should also discuss your qualifications for this position, including your experience with library instruction and educational technology. The deadline to apply is October 4, 2022 (Tuesday), at 5 pm.
This Consultant will provide learning opportunities and consulting services to MLS member libraries across the Commonwealth on topics primarily related to library instruction and educational technology.
What You Will Bring to this Position
In addition to the qualifications listed in the general Consultant position description, the successful candidate should bring the following knowledge, experience, and abilities to this position:
- Master’s degree in library science, curriculum and instruction, educational technology, or other relevant field.
- Experience in a school library, college or university library, or other relevant setting.
- Knowledge of best practices, standards, competencies, frameworks, guidelines, and trends relevant to library instruction and educational technology.
- Significant demonstrated experience with library instruction and educational technology.
- Ability to provide engaging and effective instructor-led trainings (which are outcomes focused and activity driven) to adult learners on library instruction and educational technology topics.
- Ability to provide consulting services on library instruction and educational technology topics.
- Expert presenter.
- Ability to provide training, consulting, and one-on-one coaching on presentation skills.
- Knowledge of the following as they apply to library instruction and educational technology:
- Privacy, confidentiality, and intellectual freedom
- Diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility
What You Will Do in this Position
Depending on the day, you could be working out of an MLS office, providing in-person services to staff at a member library, or telecommuting. Regardless of where you are located on any particular day, you will be focused on helping our members accomplish their goals through a variety of activities, such as:
- Providing in-person and online trainings and consulting services to MLS members on library instruction and educational technology topics, and other topics as assigned.
- Serving as a subject matter expert for the creation of asynchronous trainings.
- Creating resource guides and other support materials.
- Coordinating trainings with external contractors.
- Overseeing a new process for MLS member library staff to provide trainings (e.g., webinars) in support of our Strategic Plan (Strategic Initiative 1, Goal 1) and FY23 Action Plan.
- Conducting trainings and providing individualized coaching to MLS member library staff on presentation skills.
- Teaching one of more topics in the Basic Library Techniques program.
- Working collaboratively with other members of the Programs & Services team (which is situated within the Consulting & Training Services department) on team projects and activities.
- Serving as a library liaison to MLS member libraries in the Greater Boston, Metro West, and/or Southeast areas of the Commonwealth.
If you are an experienced professional with a passion for library instruction and educational technology, and a desire to help Massachusetts libraries accomplish their goals, then we want to hear from you!