In this months News and Updates:
- Enrollment in MLS Sora program for this year closing Friday, Jan. 12
- Blue Marble Librarians: Libraries Helping Their Communities Prepare for Extreme Weather and Foster Socially and Ecologically Conscious Culture Webinar
- Browse Borrow Board event in the Pioneer Valley
- MLS welcomes Executive Assistant
Enrollment in MLS Sora program for this year closing Friday, Jan. 12
The last day to enroll in the MLS OverDrive K-12 Shared Sora Collection program for this current school year will be Friday, January 12, 2024. If you plan to join the program in this school year, please submit the enrollment form as soon as possible. Schools that are already participating in the program should not re-enroll at this time.
About the Program
The OverDrive K-12 Shared Sora Collection is a shared collection of 60,000+ eBooks and audiobooks that are shared among participating MLS member schools. Some details:
- Titles available in English, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, and more
- Sora is the reading platform (app and website), accessible from anywhere, anytime
- Support for curriculum titles, summer reading, book clubs, and other reading initiatives at no extra cost
- Ability to add a public library card to Sora for access to even more titles from the local public library/network’s OverDrive collection and beyond
- Magazines are coming in January 2024!
- Get a live look at what’s being checked out from the collection right now.
Pricing is based on student enrollment and schools are invoiced annually. We are also waiving the $100 one-time join fee right now. Schools can choose from a variety of authentication options to get students connected to Sora. More information is available on our guide.
Please contact Tressa Santillo, email@example.com with any questions.
Blue Marble Librarians: Libraries Helping Their Communities Prepare for Extreme Weather and Foster Socially and Ecologically Conscious Culture Webinar
March 12th 3PM-4:30PM Register
Register for this upcoming webinar lead by the Blue Marble Librarians, a Massachusetts based group of librarians focused on sustainability, environmental education, and extreme weather preparedness. Learn about the history of the group, their involvement with the Boston-based nonprofit, Communities Responding to Extreme Weather (CREW), CREW Climate Hubs, the annual Climate Prep Week, and how to get involved with these environmental initiatives. They will also cover the impacts that climate change has on mental health. Participants will come away with concrete examples of what they can do at their own libraries to support sustainable programing, climate education and mental health resilience as well as ways to get involved with nonprofits doing similar work.
Learn more and register for the webinar.
Browse Borrow Board event in the Pioneer Valley
MLS Executive Director Sarah Sogigian joined Senator Jake Oliveira and representatives from Springfield, the Pioneer Valley Transit Authority (PVTA), Boston Public Library, and MassDOT to celebrate the launch of the Browse Borrow Board program in the Pioneer Valley. The press event took place on December 21 at Springfield’s Union Station. To date the Browse Borrow Board program, a collaboration with the Boston Public Library, MassDOT and the Massachusetts Library System, has rolled out in 6 of the 15 statewide transit authorities. For more on the program, please visit our Browse Borrow Board guide.
MLS welcomes Executive Assistant
Bradley Schmidt joined our team in December as our new Executive Assistant. He’s based in our Marlborough office, working closely with our executive team, board, and members. Brad can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org, 508-357-2121 x307