With the increase in extreme weather, providing resources and education about climate preparedness is more important than ever. For four years, Massachusetts libraries have collaborated with Communities Responding to Extreme Weather (CREW) on Climate Preparedness Week (held annually from Sept 24th – 30th) to prepare communities for extreme weather by offering programs about emergency preparedness and the intersection of climate change and social justice.
it’s time to sign up to participate in Climate Prep Week 2023!
Interested to get involved in Climate Prep Week 2023?
- Complete this form to publicize central virtual events with your community.
- You can share graphics from our social media toolkit.
- Complete this form to host your own program and to be included on the Climate Prep Week map.
- This year’s theme is climate change and the broader social justice movement.
- For more information about Climate Prep Week 2023, please contact Samantha Paladini.
Looking for inspiration?
- Get ideas for programs.
- View book lists for youth and adults for story times and discussions.
- Explore these interactive maps to view programs offered in previous years.
- Learn more from Communities Responding to Extreme Weather.
- Join the MLS-BlueMarble-discussion listserv to share best practices and seek support.
- Check out the Blue Marble Library Blog for inspiration.
A Brief History of the Partnership
Since 2019, the Blue Marble Librarians and the Massachusetts Library System have collaborated with Communities Responding to Extreme Weather (CREW) on Climate Prep Week. Madeleine Charney, a Librarian at the UMass Amherst Libraries, and Christopher Glass, a Research Services Librarian at Boston Public Library, made the initial connection with CREW. In 2019, eighty libraries hosted over 90 programs across Massachusetts. In 2020, 2021, and 2022 programs were also offered virtually including multiple central events. This collaboration supports sustainability as a core value of librarianship.
Hope your library will participate in Climate Preparedness Week!